The new ITIL 4 framework is visually much simpler than its predecessor, yet it represents in its content the fundamental emphasis of ITIL 4 as a holistic approach that reimagines service management into what is being called the Service Value System that fully embraces the modern workplace by interweaving IT service with Agile, DevOps, Lean, and other IT governance and leadership concepts.
The ITIL 4 Framework looks like this:
There are four distinct levels to this framework:
- ITIL 4 Foundation is the first publication of ITIL 4. Its audience ranges from IT and business students taking their first steps in service management to seasoned professionals familiar with earlier versions of ITIL and other sources of industry best practice. ITIL 4 Foundation will:
- Begin students’ ITIL 4 journey, enabling them to understand a new way to look at IT Service Management through the holistic view of a Service Value System (SVS)
- Provide students with an understanding of the ITIL 4 service management framework and how it has evolved to adopt modern technologies and ways of working
- Prepare students for the Foundation Certificate in ITIL 4
- ITIL Managing Professional (ITIL MP) targets IT practitioners working within technology and digital teams across businesses. The Managing Professional (MP) stream provides practical and technical knowledge about how to run successful IT projects, teams and workflows.
- ITIL Strategic Leader (ITIL SL) recognizes the value of ITIL, not just for IT operations, but for all digitally enabled services. Becoming an ITIL Strategic Leader (ITIL SL) demonstrates that the professional has a clear understanding of how IT influences and directs business strategy.
- ITIL Master is the highest level achievable within the ITIL 4 framework and requires completion of both the ITIL MP and ITIL SL tracks before eligibility will be considered.
Each of these sections is accompanied by one or more courses/examinations that further the understanding and improve the effectiveness of an ITIL implementation. ITIL 4 Foundation is the only course released at this time (as of February 28, 2019). Each of the ITIL Specialist, ITIL Strategist, and ITIL Leader slices will have a corresponding training course that will release starting in H2 of 2019 and moving through H1 of 2020.
For the most current course information, always refer to the New Horizons web page dedicated to ITIL 4, which can be found here.